Day 1 practical instructions

Hello All! Instructions for getting files for use on your workshop account are below. You are welcome to share any problems you are experiencing here in the forum and I will try to address as soon as possible. Make sure to tag me (type “@Elizabeth_Prom-Worml” in your message) so that I am notified.

I will also be in our workshop zoom room 30 minutes before each session to help if something isn’t working as you think it should.

DAY 1 INSTRUCTIONS
1- Visit the workshop website. This is your hub for all features related to conducting work related to the workshop.

https://workshop.colorado.edu/

2- Copy files via SSH
Choose the SSH client from the workshop hub or go directly to the SSH client in a new browser tab by typing:
https://workshop.colorado.edu/ssh

Create a directory to hold your day’s work by typing:
mkdir day1

Go into the day1 directory by typing:
cd day1

Copy over the files/exercises from Elizabeth’s directory into yours by typing the following (please note that there IS a period that must be included):
cp /faculty/elizabeth/2022/* .

Once this is complete, several files should be copied into your server folder, including:

1. Session1Activity2022.R
  2. miFunctions5272022.R
  3. SimWtDataPairD1.csv
  4. SimWtDataSite1D1.csv
  5. SimWtDataSite2D1.csv

3- Open Session1Activity2022.R with RStudio in a separate browser tab
https://workshop.colorado.edu/rstudio/

** The tutorial for Day1 can be found at the following address. We will be doing this together in class.**
https://qimr.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_eqWgUTNJghdOBVA

5 Likes

Hi Elizabeth,

What does the above quoted sentence mean? Could you give any examples how to write the complete code to copy files prpperly? Thank you very much.

Hi @xueyingqin! It means to make sure to copy/paste everything in that line including that period at the end (not to confused with a period to end a sentence). So make sure to copy/paste/use all of this

I followed your instructions. Here is what I type in web ssh:

xueyiq64@ip-10-0-201-11:~/day1$ cp /faculty/elizabeth/2022/* .

And then it shows this:

xueyiq64@ip-10-0-201-11:~/day1$

I would like to ask where the files are? Sorry that I am totally blank to ssh.

Sorry, I just checked my R folder, the files are there. I understand now.

Thank you very much.

Great! If you come to your session ~30 minutes early, I can also walk you through the basics of SSH.

Yes, I will. Thank you very much.

hello Elizabeth,
I followed your instructions. here is my typing in ssh,
leiz63@ip-10-0-201-11:~/day1$ cp/faculty/elizabeth/2022/.
-bash: cp/faculty/elizabeth/2022/
.: No such file or directory
leiz63@ip-10-0-201-11:~/day1$

I really don’t know what’s wrong with this situation.
@Elizabeth_Prom-Worml

Hi @nozomi_lei ! It appears as though you may not have typed the code in just right. Use this

Your code " cp/faculty/elizabeth/2022/ *. " seems to have no space between cp and the rest of the code (/faculty/elizabeth/2022/ *. ) Try again and let me know how it goes.

Yeah, you are right, I got them.
thank you so much

1 Like

Hi @mehinmowo6759 I am unsure of what you have done so far. Can you share a bit more code or explanation?

The command line is complaining that it doesn’t find a command corresponding to what you typed. Usually I see that it means people have left out necessary spaces. Spaces are important to separate the command from the options and arguments to the command. So it should look like

cp /faculty/elizabeth/2022/day1/* .

With very important spaces after cp and after *

Or it could just be a typo, for example typing sp instead of cp.

Hi, @Elizabeth_Prom-Worml please would it be possible to get the questions for the Day1 practical in pdf/word document? I am having issues with the internet connection, so having an offline version would help. With many thanks, Sinziana

@sinziana.oncioiu Ack! I forgot to upload this to my folder. Sorry. I have uploaded a file “Day_1_Practical_Student.pdf” into my folder /faculty/elizabeth/2022
You can copy and download to your computer using directions shared in this post by Jeff. Let me know if you have additional problems.

Thank you very much @Elizabeth_Prom-Worml ! It worked, I managed to download the file. With many thanks, Sinziana

hello Elizabeth,
I don’t know why the Day_1_Practical_Student.pdf is not show in my folder. But the other files are available.
thank you
@Elizabeth_Prom-Worml

Hi @nozomi_lei This file was one that I copied late between sessions A and B, so it is likely that it did not copy when you initially copied files. Try copying this file from my folder now and putting into your folder. Let me know how it goes.

now I got it.
thank you for your patience

1 Like

Day 1 Practical answers are posted in my folder: Day 1 Practical ANSWERS.pdf